Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fathers Day

I had to post this because I want to remember it 10 years from now. I wanted to do something special for my dad for Fathers Day. Since my mom has been gone, we have all missed her great cooking and baked treats soooo much. My dad loved her pies and I have wanted to start trying to master the mom touch but haven't really had the desire to practice. My husband isn't much into sweets and after having a baby I SHOULDN'T be either. I decided to try to make a Coconut Cream Pie for dad using my mom's recipe. Keeping in mind that frustration comes from unmet expectations. I expected it would be a little hard but not as hard as it turned out to be. A week before Fathers Day I made a list of ingredients I needed that I didn't already have and took of to Winco with my little list. When I started to make the crust I found that my flour was a little old since I never really bake. I opened some new flour that I had in storage which was whole wheat from when I was on one of my health kicks and used that for the first go around. First try----FAILED. 2nd try with old flour instead----FAILED, 3rd try is a charm right? ----FAILED, 4th and final try, used the last bit of flour and didn't have enough to cover the counter, the crust was pretty close to usable and then it stuck to the blasted counter! ------FAILED. I took pictures because I know that someday when I can make a decent pie crust I will laugh at this silly post.

The problem with all of this was that it was Sunday so I wasn't going to break the sabbath to get more flour and I had to be somewhere is 4 hours. I swallowed my CARVER bred pride and called my Step Mom. I explained my failed attempts to make a decent pie crust and asked her if I could come over and have her watch me do one and give advice where needed but not to tell my dad because I wanted it to be a surprise. I left the house still in my church clothes, apron and slippers (my mom always baked that way on Sunday afternoons and I was wearing her slippers for good luck). As I pulled up to my dads house I had a lump in my throat. I wanted to so bad to make a mom worthy pie for him. I guess in honor of my mom and because I wanted him to be proud of me. I expected him to be inside and I was going to tell him I was going to bake him a fresh pie but instead he was standing on the back porch when I came around the corner. I started crying as soon as I saw him and blabbered the whole story through my sobbing confessing my desire to impress him and how much I missed my sweet momma. It was just a little more than I could handle. I don't know why I get in over my head so much. Long story short, I made a good crust the first time, got some good pie making advice, was given my moms pie crust recipe that no one has ever actually had but my step mom Sharron had found on the computer and made my first ever batch of meringue. I have never made a pie from start to finish all by myself. Sharron taught my a different way to do the crust, which was definitely different but it all worked out. I had a good cry with my dad and reached my goal. To make a marvelous loved filled Chris Caver worthy pie. In honor of my momma- I miss you lady!











































































No comments: