Saturday, March 1, 2008

My new found thoughts on Pregnancy

Last night my sister Kim and I had a girls night and watched a movie about Midwives and the Business of Being Born with Ricki Lake. I was trying to Convert her to a new way of thinking about the whole birthing experience. I came upon in the other night on netflix. I have been watching a lot of pregnancy for dummies movies and anything that has to do with getting ready to have a baby. This movie changed my mind about A LOT of things. It is so incredible. It made me happy, sad and mad all at the same time. They use to do horrible things to pregnant women in the hospital. It just goes to show who brainwashed we become as Americans in our own little worlds, going along with what everyone else tells us or does without doing our own research first. It is kind of like American food. Things that supposedly are healthy.... like McDonald's Salads are really not. Whole wheat cereal with health claims like low fat on it.... loaded with tons of sugar? What is healthy about that? If it has to be explained, has words you can't pronounce on it or has more than 10 ingredients, it probably shouldn't be in your body. It is the same with this pregnancy birthing thing. You will have to watch to understand. Anyway, I thought I was pregnant but I am not. I got really freaked out about the fact that I will have to give birth some day and what my doctor would be like and about my pregnancy, would I have complications and so on. You think totally different when you have that feeling, holy cow, I MIGHT BE PREGNANT. WOW, what a shocker, especially when you really weren't planning. Everyone that knows me knows how much of a planner I am. I decided to be a massage therapist in 6th grade. When I really set my mind to something I go for it. I am totally going to try having a natural birth. If I don't' have complications and my Dr. Says its okay I am totally going with it. Kim is super excited. I showed her the movie and she was crying off and on. She was really surprised what she didn't know. She said if she had seen this before, she would have wanted a midwife. Anyway... it is really cool. If you get around to it, it is a really interesting documentary.
Director Abby Epstein's controversial documentary takes a hard look at America's maternity care system, juxtaposing hospital deliveries against the growing popularity of at-home, natural childbirths that many expectant parents are now opting for. Former talk show host Ricki Lake was inspired to produce this compelling exposé after a dissatisfying birthing experience with her first child left her with many unanswered questions.

2 comments:

Kim said...

It was really good Mel. I'm still thinking about it!

Shelli said...

I haven't watched it, but I guess I kind of have some opinions on natural vs. epidural childbirth. I have experienced both. 2 totally different experiences.