Sunday, March 2, 2008

Birthday Love

I had a great Birthday yesterday! The older I get, the less I care that when it is my Birthday. It just doesn't seem like it is as big of a deal as it did when I was younger. My husband surprised me Friday night with flowers. Ha ha. The story is, when we were dating, he never gave me flowers. For Christmas this year he put roses in my stocking which I blogged about previously. Anyway... for Valentines he came to my office for a massage and on the way stopped to get me a single rose. Pretty flower overboard for him I thought. So Friday I came home and was busy talking as usual and looked up to notice a vase with tulips in it. I was surprised and said something like, "Oh yeah, birthday tulips eh?" Every year as a kid I can remember the daffodils coming up in the spring. I always knew when my birthday was near because of the daffodils in the front yard about to bloom. I always talk about them being a special memory to me and last year my mom got me a pot of them. Chris was being cute and thought he got me the special birthday flowers... daffodils. However, he got tulips instead!!!!!!!!!! HA, I thought it was so cute. At least he tried. There was a card in front of the vase but he wouldn't let me read it because it wasn't my birthday until tomorrow. So at midnight, I made him bring the card to me. I was so impressed, it made me cry because it was the sweetest ever. In case you can't read it is says, To my friend, my lover, my wife, From your pal, your stud, your husband. Love Chris. On the other side it says, " I love you today more than yesterday and tomorrow more than today. Happy Birthday my Sweetheart." He continues to surprise me all the time. I gathered that he copied the cute part from another card and he confessed the idea sprang from a card but the words were his. I could have cared less where it came from, I was just excited it had my name on it. He said that I would have to wait for the rest of my present bcause it was in the mail.










In the morning my mom called to tell me that my birthday cake was ready! Does anyone know what that means? The super dooper chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting that the Carver family fights over was made by my sick mother just for little ol me! I was determined no matter what happened on my birthday this year that it couldn't possibly be ruined because that was the greatest gift ever to me. She was worried that she didn't get me anything and was feeling bad that she could do anything or get out to get me a gift. She can hardly get out of bed right now and she got up in the morning and made be the best thing ever. I love her so much. I went out to get it and got to spend a little time with her. I made her take a picture of me taking the first bite. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the big dip in the middle of the cake. That is because it is so gooey and good and heavy and rich and glorious...... that it caves in. The Carver Food obsession. It really is a science.


We met my brother Kent and his girlfriend Jessica at Anthony's last night for dinner. I had halibut cheeks with mango salsa and wild rice pilaf, Caesar salad and we had crab & artichoke dip and breaded oysters for appetizers. It was yummy! We finished the night off with one of my favorite chick flicks, Raising Helen," in which Chris feel asleep! Ha of course. It was a great day, everyone in my family I talked to sang to me.

4 comments:

The Two of Us said...

HAPPY late BIRTHDAY...You didnt even tell me...we could have had a party!!! Your mom is so sweet!

Petersons said...

That story about your husband is so cute! I am glad you had a good birthday, you deserve it! I hope you get my package this week I know its late but whatever right, its just fun getting gifts sometimes. I really want to try your mom's cake! maybe when I come into town this summer you could make it for me or your mom will feel better and i can pay her to make it for me? It just sounds so good!!

The Reil Family said...

it sounds like you had a great birthday! i had a good one too a couple of weeks ago... but i am still HATING this getting older thing! we live in san diego so we went downtown for a while and then watched some movies (our favorite). i love that you have one of these blogs too! i really need to get to updating!

Kim said...

That cake is YUUUUUMMY. Loved it. Thanks for sharing it with us. I love you, sorry I didn't do more for your birthday. Can't wait for TOFW!!!!