Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bye Bye Breastfeeding....Hello Bottle

I have officially given up breastfeeding. Keldon was eating anywhere from and hour to two hours and still needing topped off. At first he we were doing good and then after a growth spurt I think my body never caught up. I was getting frustrated because I wasn't getting any sleep, and when I had to give him a bottle my milk supply was getting messed up and in the mean time everything was stressing me out. I have always been the kind of person that would "definitely breastfeed no matter what." Well, I told myself each week to try and make it another week and my goal was to make it at least 6 weeks. It has been nice to have more freedom and he is definitely happier.I can leave him with someone and actually feel relaxed that I don't need to run to him every time my milk lets down. It is bitter sweet though, the whole trading breastfeeding for bottle. I miss it actually. I love having him snuggled up close to me and looking at him. Now that we are giving him a bottle and he still takes an hour to an hour and half to eat, I can't believe I made it as far as I did. He seems to have his dad's temperament, easy going and in no rush at all. While it is an admirable quality..... it's quite annoying to a new mommy trying to learn and master the art of Patience and breastfeeding at 3 a.m. Keldon weighed 10 lbs 14 oz this week and is getting so big. Everybody tells you they grow fast and you know it is true but it doesn't really hit you until you go from newborn diapers to size 1 or when his newborn clothes only fit him if you stretch the necks out and pull them up over their shoulders to fit. Another good sign that they are growing is when your arm goes asleep feeding them. He is so stinkin cute. He is starting to smile and and has a little laugh I have heard a few times. I have been at my sister's house a few times in the past couple weeks and it is so fun to see her kids interact with the baby. They call him BABY KELDON and eagerly wash their hands so they can be next to hold him. A while back, the kids were all examining baby's hands and feet and commenting on all his little fingernails and so on. The oldest girl Whitney said, " Mom.... how come Keldon's toes are all mixed up?" We cracked up over that. His left foot has a couple funny toes. One overlaps the other and is kind of crooked looking. Chris keeps freaking out that they are going to stay that way and has made a couple suggestions of correcting them, all in which I am totally opposed to. They are just fine the way they are, mixed up or not!! Here are some of the latest pictures. Be sure to check out the toes and don't mind the flaky feet. Keldon always falls asleep in the car and always has his feet stuck out at the end of his car seat.





















































































3 comments:

Brandie said...

Breastfeeding is tiresome and tough to get the hang of. I somehow got through the first few months of basically no sleep and then became very emotionally attached to it. I ended up running out of milk just before Jaxon turned 8 months...and finally felt like I had my body back to myself! It is very demanding!
Keldon is sure a cutie, and already lookin so big!

John & Sierra said...

Oh my goodness. He's getting so big. It always amazing me how fast they grow and change. Still a handsome little guy :)

Mommy Crafts said...

Melanie,

I don't know if you will remember me, but he so cute!! Have fun being a mommy they grow up so quickly!! Time Flies when your having fun!!